It’s winter, it’s finally cold and cozy time again. This recipe was born from my boredom with chocolate drinks. Hot chocolate is an all time classic. It is a favourite mid night snack (You know those nights when you can’t have what you really want? Cacoa drink to the rescue!!!!!). Let’s face it, hot chocolate can be a bit monotonous sometimes. I sometimes find joy in splashing a bit of maple syrup, honey, caramel syrup, toffee syrup or gingerbread syrup in mine. But after a while, they all taste the same.
Getting over the recent hot chocolate bombs trends, this recipe combine the tangy flavour of cherries with deep chocolate drinks. Cherries go well with it when baked or combined in a smoothie, so I decided to do the same for my winter cozy drink. Frozen Cherries – Cherry Puree – Cherry Hot Chocolate. You can spice this recipe with ginger and nutmeg. It also has a lot of maple syrup or agave for sweeting this bloody chocolate cocktail.
For this recipe you are going to need some cherries. You can have them frozen (the defrosted) or simply at room temperature. The proportion of cherries to chocolate determines the amount of sweetener you need for this recipe. Keep in mind both cherries and chocolate are deep flavours. So you will need a lot of milk and sweetener to dull them down. Eventually, what you are left with is the fresh flavour and not the punge or nasty slap on the cheeks.
Winter Cherry Hot Chocolate
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 3 Cups Almond Milk
- 1 Cup Seedless Cherries or deseeded
- 3 tbsp Maple Syrup or Agave
- 1/2 tbsp Ginger Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Nutmeg
- 1 Cup Mini Marshmallows
- In a Blender, blend the cherries, nutmeg, ginger powder and cocoa powder with 1/2 cup of almond milk1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder, 3 Cups Almond Milk, 1 Cup Seedless Cherries or deseeded, 1/2 tbsp Ginger Powder, 1/2 tbsp Nutmeg
- Heat 2(1/2) cups of almond milk on a stove3 Cups Almond Milk
- Add the blended Cherries and cocoa powder to the heating milk1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder, 3 Cups Almond Milk, 1 Cup Seedless Cherries or deseeded
- Add the maple syrup or agave and leave to simmer for about 3 mins3 tbsp Maple Syrup or Agave
- Pour into a lovely Christmas mug
- Top with marshmallows