Have you ever been unable to eat certain foods because of your food allergies? Have you had to avoid whole food groups because of your dietary restrictions? Tiger nuts might be the perfect solution for you, especially if you love snacking on nuts. Tiger nuts are not only vegan, but they’re also gluten-free and nut-free, making them the perfect snack choice for anyone who has allergies or any other special dietary needs.
❓❓❓ What are Tiger Nuts?
Tiger nuts, also known as chufa or earth almonds, are small tubers that have been used as a food source for centuries. They are native to North Africa and the Mediterranean region and have recently gained popularity as a healthy snack and alternative to traditional nuts. Not only are tiger nuts a good source of dietary fiber, they also contain a variety of vitamins and minerals such as potassium, magnesium, and iron. They are also a great source of healthy fats, making them a perfect addition to a well-rounded diet. There are currently three types of tiger nuts:
Black Tiger Nuts
Black tiger nuts are a type of tiger nut that is typically smaller and darker in color than regular tiger nuts. They are also said to be sweeter and have a slightly different texture. They are also known to be high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals like regular tiger nuts.
Black tiger nuts are super sweet, Rich in salts, sugars, oils, vitamins and energy they are also higher in oil than conventional tiger nuts. These are starting to become very popular.
Yellow Tiger Nuts
Yellow tiger nuts are similar to other varieties of tiger nuts with the main difference being their color. The color difference is due to the fact that black tiger nuts are left in the ground for a longer period of time before they are harvested, causing them to turn black.
In terms of taste, yellow tiger nuts are said to have a sweeter and nuttier flavor, while black tiger nuts are said to have a stronger, earthier taste.
Brown Tiger Nuts
Brown tiger nuts and yellow tiger nuts are both varieties of the same plant, Cyperus esculentus, which is a type of sedge. The main difference between the two is their color, as the name suggests brown tiger nuts are brown in color and yellow tiger. nuts are yellow.
Brown tiger nuts tend to be smaller and have a slightly sweeter taste than yellow tiger nuts. They are also known to have a slightly higher nutritional value, with more protein, carbohydrates, and fat content than yellow tiger nuts.
How to Make Tigernut Milk
❤️🩹 Health Benefits of Tiger Nuts
They are a gluten-free and nut-free alternative to peanuts and other nuts. They are not actually nuts, but rather a type of root vegetable. They are high in fiber and rich in vitamins and minerals, and are often used in traditional medicine. One of the unique benefits of tiger nuts is their high content of prebiotics, which are non-digestible carbohydrates that act as food for the beneficial bacteria in our gut. This makes them a great choice for those looking to improve their gut health and boost their immune system. They are also commonly ground into flour and used as a gluten-free alternative to wheat flour. They’re low in fat (only 4% of calories come from fat) and high in fiber. Tiger nuts are rich in nutrients and are known to reduce blood sugar, aid digestion, fight against infection and boost the immune system.
🥦🍆 Nutrition in Tiger Nuts
- Calories: 143
- Fiber: 9 grams
- Carbs: 19 grams
- Protein: 1 gram
- Fat: 7 grams
- Iron: 1–2% of the Daily Value (DV)
- Phosphorus: 5–6% of the DV
- Vitamin C: 2–8% of the DV
- Magnesium: 7% of the DV
- Zinc: 5–7% of the DV
- Potassium: 3–5% of the DV
- Calcium: 1% of the DV
🥣 How to Cook with Tiger Nuts
There are several ways to use tigernuts in cooking:
- Tigernut Flour: This can be used as a gluten-free alternative to wheat flour in baking. It can be used to make cakes, cookies, bread, and other baked goods.
- Tigernut Milk: They can be soaked in water overnight and then ground to make a non-dairy milk alternative. This milk can be used in smoothies, coffee, tea, and other beverages.
- Tigernut Oil: They can be pressed to extract an oil that can be used for cooking and as a salad dressing. It has a mild, nutty flavor and can be used to sauté, fry, and roast.
- Tigernut Butter: They can be ground to make a creamy, spreadable butter that can be used as a substitute for peanut butter or other nut butters.
- Roasted Tigernuts: They can be roasted and eaten as a snack, they are sweet and nutty and can be used as a substitute for peanuts or other nuts in trail mixes.
- Tigernut Horchata: They are also used to make a popular non-alcoholic drink called horchata in Spain, which is made by soaking tigernuts in water, then blending with cinnamon, vanilla, and sweetener.
- Tigernut Cream: They can be soaked and blended with water and sweetener to make a thick cream that can be used in pies, puddings, and other desserts.
Overall, tigernuts are versatile and can be used in a variety of ways in cooking and baking. Experiment with different ways of using tigernuts to find the best way to incorporate them into your diet.
💰💰Where to Buy Tigernuts
Although various tiger nut products can be found in many local food stores, the best places to find tiger nuts are. through online retailers such as Amazon, Wholefoods and Specialised Stores.
Iya Foods Fine Tigernut Flour, Plant-Based, Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, Dairy-Free, Non-GMO, Paleo Flour.Buy on Amazon
Julia’s Organic Sliced Tiger Nuts, Thin Sliced Tiger Nuts Organic Raw – Gluten Free, High Fiber & protein, Non-GMO tiger nut Slices Premium tigernutsBuy on Amazon
Tigernut Butter – Aip Diet and Paleo, Vegan CompliantBuy on Amazon
💡💡💡Frequently Asked Questions
- Are Tiger nuts nuts -No, tiger nuts are not actually nuts. They are small tubers that are rich in fiber.
- Can I eat Tiger nuts raw – Most tiger nuts on the market come dehydrated. They are rough and hard. To eat tiger nuts as a snack, soak them in cold water for are least 6 – 12 hours.
- Can Tiger nuts increase breast size – Although, they do contain a number of nutrients, there is no evidence of this claim. Please consult a medical professional for more advice.
- Can Tiger Nuts Boost Fertility – A number of nutrients are known to improve fertility. While tiger nuts may contain some of these nutrients, there is no evidence of this claim. Please consult a medical professional for more advice.
For those who need to avoid gluten or tree nuts, Tiger nut Flour is a great alternative. Not only is it gluten-free and tree-nut free, but it also has a lower glycemic index than other flours. So whether you’re diabetic or looking to cut carbs in your diet, Tiger nut Flour will fit the bill.