This sweet potato brownie recipe is simply a crowd pleaser. It’s Fall or Autumn and it’s time for sweet potatoes, beetroots and corn. Sweet potatoes are the staple of most Fall/Autumn recipes and this September is no different. My favourite fudgy brownie recipe is happening!!! For more fall recipes subscribe to the #q4recipes mailing list.
Although this recipe is full fat and sugar all the way, every ingredient has a descent vegan or sugar-free substitute. The flour can also be replaced with whole-grains or nut flours such as almonds, oats or tigernuts. As different to a basic chocolate brownie recipe, the ratio of sweet potato to chocolate here is 2:1. To get that goey brownie center, we use a similar fat to flour ratio as 2:1. You can use olive oil or melted butter as fat and cocoa powder or chocolate for that rich chocolatey flavour.
If you are using a brownie mix, you would simply need 2(1/2) cups of brownie mix, 2 eggs and oil measurements as per pack instructions. You can boil, grill, steam or microwave the sweet potatoes to get them soft. Then simply peel off the back and mash with a fork. The Cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg reminds you ‘It’s Fall’!!!.
Do not puree the sweet potatoes, as we want to bite into those sweet potato chunks. Do not be scared if you end up with a really thick batter. It should be thick from sweet potatoes not flour. I made a simple sweet potato chocolate topping with coconut milk, white chocolate and mashed pureed boiled sweet potatoes. This easy brownie recipe is a crowd pleaser and is perfect served warm with any caramel flavoured ice cream.
Easy Sweet Potato Brownie Recipe
Sweet Potato Brownie
- 1 9 INch Baking Tray
- 1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 4 medium Sweet Pototoes
- 4 Medium Eggs
- 150 Grams Salted Butter
- 1 tsp Ginger Powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 100 grams Swiss Chocolate
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
For the Sweet Potato Chocolate Sauce
- 1 Medium Sweet Potato
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Cream
- 100 Grams White Chocolate
- Pre-Heat the oven 160C
Mash the sweet potatoes
- Half Each Potato, place. in an perforated lidded bowl and pop in the microwave for 10 – 12 mins
- Peel off the skin and mash with a fork.
- Set Aside
- Melt the chocolate with the butter in the microwave or over steam.
- In a separate bowl, add the melted chocolate, 4 eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Mix until well combined.
- Add the flour tot he mix and stir until there are no lumps left.
- Then fold in the mash potatoes and combine properly.
- Turn the mixture into a lined brownie tin.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 160C for 30-45 mins
For the Sweet Potato Topping Sauce
- Microwave Half sweet potato in a perforated lidded bowl for 10 – 12 mins
- Peel the back and blend with 1/4 cup coconut cream
- Turn the mixture into a bowl
- Add the white chocolate to the mixture and melt together over steam until well combined.