This is one of my last summer favourites. I had so many berries this year and needed to find a way to use them. I have already loaded what I can into the freezer for the next few months so now I am working them into recipes that you will enjoy. This is a simplistic mixed berry loaf loaded with mixed berries. We are using blackberries, raspberries and cherries. Almost a fruit overdose.
The loaf comes out super moist and tasty. I put it into a loaf pan so it is more like a fruit bread rather than a cake. Slice it for breakfast or have a slice for a snack. We know that berries can be mixed into virtually any type of dish. I love putting mixed berries on my porridge, in my dry cereal and of course with yogurt. However, berries fit nicely into salads and some roasted dishes. Mixed berry loaf is a great dish to bring to potlucks or church dinners. Make a double batch and give them as gifts for the Holidays.
Mixed berry loaf is perfect for a quick breakfast, a mid-morning snack, snack with tea in the afternoon or even a bedtime snack. With very little sugar, it is on the healthier side of fruit breads. I would not tell anyone that there is very little sugar, they will never know. This mixed berry loaf is one of the best tasting treats you could make for those you love. It is even a better way to use up some frozen or fresh berries.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I add bananas or plantains to this loaf?
- Adding one plantain or banana will taste wonderful. You could use different berries if you chose to also. Even just a different combination.
Can I use up some frozen fruit?
- If you are rotating the fruits from your freezer to use up first, that makes much sense. This way your berries will always taste fresh when you use them.
Could this be put into a cake pan instead of a loaf pan?
- Of course you can. Making it as a cake is basically the same as making
Mixed Berries Loaf
- 9lbs Loaf Tin
- 1 Cup Blackberries
- 1 Cup Raspberries
- 1 Cup Fresh Cherries
- 150 Grams Softened Unsalted Butter
- 2 Medium Eggs
- 1/2 Cup White Sugar
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- Preheat oven to 160C
- Mix all berries in a bowl
- Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla essence
- Add eggs and whisk until smooth
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder and baking soda
- Add the dry ingredients mix to the wet ingredients mix.
- Gently fold in the berry mix
- Bake in the oven for 45mins or until a skewer comes out dry