All natural gluten free fonio ancient grain is the best addition to your diet if you are looking to cheat on the grain. Fonio, also called iburura, acha or hungry rice, is a small type of millet from western/northern Africa. Fonio contains a number of useful nutrients including, high in fiber, high vitamins B, C and D contents. It may also have the highest amount of recorded calcium for any grain currently on the market. You can read all about Fonio in my ‘Fonio 101’ blog post.
Stay Inspired Everyday
Subscribe to get more of the best fusion recipes
Fonio has been grown for over 5,000 years in West Africa a semi-arid region of Africa including Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Senegal, Sudan, and a few other countries. Fonio grows fast in poor soils and dry conditions. It also requires little care like fertiliser or water. As a result, it’s a great option for food security and smallholder farmers who want to help preserve agricultural biodiversity and cultural identity in these West African countries.
This gluten free fonio recipe turns fonio into a delicious bit bar. Topped with white chocolate and hibiscus flowers, this recipe is a sugarless sweet treat. Fonio has a natural earthy, nutty taste which adds to the flavour. You can skip the white chocolate if you want a zero sugar version of this recipe.
Finally, I get a lot of questions regarding if this recipe must be baked. A lot of you suggested freezing instead. Yes!!! You must bake this recipe. Freezing it leaves the flavour tasting a bit raw and unblended.
Please leave a review if you try this recipe and leave comments on how awesome you found it.
Gluten Free Fonio Bars
- 1 Square Springform Pan
- 1 Cup Fonio Grain
- 21/2 Cups Almond Milk
- 3 tbsp Almond Milk
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Cup Finely Crushed Almonds
- 1 Cup Oat
- 1 Cup Almonds Or any nuts of your choice
- 400 Grams White Chocolate Optional
- 1 tbsp dried hibiscus Optional
- In a microwave safe bowl, mix the Fonio grain and almond milk and pop in the microwave for 10 minutes. Or boil in a pot. You a looking for a sticky mush.1 Cup Fonio Grain, 21/2 Cups Almond Milk
- To this mixture add in the finely crushed almonds, almond nuts, oats and Honey.1 Tbsp Honey, 1 Cup Finely Crushed Almonds, 1 Cup Oat, 1 Cup Almonds
- Mix to form a stiff mixture
- Transfer mixture into a lined square springform tin.
- Bake in an oven at 200C for 10-15 mins
- Leave to cool down and set aside
- In another bowl, melt the white chocolate with 3 tablespoons of almond milk3 tbsp Almond Milk, 400 Grams White Chocolate
- Pour the melted white chocolate over the bake and leave to cool.
- Top with dried hibiscus (optional)
- Cut into 6 – 9 pieces