If you’ve ever had a taste of Ghanaian cuisine, then you know that it is a delight for the senses. From the hearty stews to the flavorful rice dishes, Ghanaian food is a treat that everyone should experience. And one of the staples of Ghanaian cuisine is Tom Brown powder. In this recipe, I share a simple and easy-to-follow recipe for Ghanian Tom Brown cupcakes, along with tips on how to customize the recipe to suit your preferences. I also explore the cultural significance of Tom Brown powder in Ghanian cuisine and highlight the nutritional benefits of incorporating it into your baking. So, let’s get started and add some delicious Ghanaian flavor to your next baking project!
What is Ghanian Tom Brown Powder?
Tom Brown powder is a nutritious and versatile food made from roasted corn, millet, and other grains.
It is a popular breakfast cereal in Ghana and is enjoyed by people of all ages. The powder is typically mixed with hot water or milk and sugar to create a smooth and creamy porridge. But when combined with flour, sugar, butter, and other baking ingredients, Tom Brown powder can add a nutty and flavorful twist to baked goods. It is used for a popular breakfast cereal in Ghana and is enjoyed by people of all ages. The powder is typically mixed with hot water or milk and sugar to create a smooth and creamy porridge. What sets Tom Brown powder apart from other breakfast cereals is its unique flavor and texture. The roasted grains give it a nutty taste, and the porridge has a slightly gritty texture that is very satisfying to eat. Additionally, Tom Brown powder is packed with nutrients, making it an excellent choice for a healthy breakfast or snack.
Ghanian Tom Brown Ingredients
Making Ghanian Tom Brown powder is a straightforward process that requires only a few ingredients and some basic kitchen equipment. The first step is to gather the ingredients, which include cornmeal, millet flour, soybean flour, and groundnut (peanut) flour. While the exact ingredients may vary depending on the recipe and region, these are the most common components of Tom Brown powder. Corn is a primary ingredient and is typically roasted until it turns brown to enhance its flavor and aroma. Millet, on the other hand, is a gluten-free grain that adds a nutty flavor to the powder. Other grains like rice, wheat, or sorghum may also be included in the mix to enhance the nutritional value of the powder. Some recipes also add spices like cinnamon or ginger to the powder to give it an extra kick of flavor. Overall, the ingredients in Ghanian Tom Brown powder make it a nutritious and tasty breakfast option that is enjoyed by people of all ages in Ghana and beyond.
Once you have all your ingredients, heat a skillet over medium heat and add the cornmeal, millet flour, and soybean flour, stirring constantly for about 10 minutes or until the mixture turns golden brown. Once the mixture is toasted, remove it from the heat and allow it to cool before adding the groundnut flour. Stir the mixture thoroughly, making sure that all the ingredients are evenly distributed. Finally, store the Tom Brown powder in an airtight container, and it will stay fresh for several weeks. Tom Brown powder can be enjoyed in many ways, including as a porridge, a base for smoothies, or as a nutritious addition to baked goods like cakes and muffins. With just a few simple steps, you can create a versatile and delicious ingredient that is a staple in Ghanaian cuisine.
Other Uses of Tom Brown Powder
In addition to being a delicious breakfast cereal and a versatile ingredient in baked goods like cupcakes, Ghanian Tom Brown powder has many other uses. Here are ten other ways you can use Tom Brown powder:
- Thickener: Tom Brown powder can be used as a natural thickener in soups, stews, and sauces.
- Coating for Fried Foods: You can use Tom Brown powder as a coating for fried foods like chicken or fish, giving them a nutty and flavorful twist.
- Energy Bars: Tom Brown powder can be mixed with other ingredients like honey, nuts, and dried fruits to make energy bars that are perfect for a quick and nutritious snack.
- Smoothie Base: You can add Tom Brown powder to your smoothies as a nutritious base, giving them a nutty flavor and an extra boost of protein and fiber.
- Pancake Mix: You can add Tom Brown powder to your pancake mix to create a nutritious and delicious breakfast.
- Meatballs and Meatloaf: Tom Brown powder can be used as a binder in meatballs and meatloaf recipes, replacing bread crumbs.
Ghanian Tom Brown Cupcakes
- 1 6 Hole Cupcake Baking Tray
- 6 Cupcake Liners
- 100 ML Almond Milk
- 3 Medium Eggs
- 1 Cup Muscovado Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Malt Extract
- 1/2 Cup Crystallised Ginger
- 1/2 Cup Crushed walnuts
- 1 Cup Melted Butter Optional
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1(1/2) Cup Ghanian Tom Brown Powder
- Pre Heat the Oven to 180C
- Whisk the eggs, melted butter and milk until smooth
- Add the Muscovado Sugar and Malt extract and whisk
- Add the crystallised ginger and walnuts
- Add the baking soda, baking powder and tom brown powder.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Line each tray hole with a liner and fill with the batter until 1/2 inch from the top.
- Bake in an oven for 30-45 minutes