“Nutty Fonio Parfait”. Fonio is an ancient cereal grain cultivated in West Africa. It is also called acha, it is the tiniest grain in the millet family and a suitable alternative to Rice and millets itself. As fonio is a gluten-free grain, I made this delicious gluten-free fonio parfait recipe to complement a warm dinner. It is made with Fonio grain, coconut cream/milk, Apples/Peaches, Peanuts. I call this recipe ‘The Nutty One’ because it is layered in peanuts and that flavour soaked through the entire cup. The coconut milk adds a creamy texture leaving a silky taste every time. It is best to use granny smith apples or peaches. Note that granny smith apples adds a slight sour after taste and can cut through the sweetness from the honey.
I soaked the peanuts in honey for about 15 mins on the side while I made the fonio porridge. This is optional but just makes the peanuts moist rather than crunchy. You can use any kind of nut – walnuts, pistachios or even chopped pecans. Coconut milk and Coconut cream is the plant-based gluten free version of this recipe. Of course you can replace these with whole milk and double cream. As you know everything unhealth-ier is even yummier.
This is another great addition to my fonio recipe collection and I hope you enjoy it.
Creamy Fonio and Peanut Parfiat
- 1 Pyrex Bowl
- 1 Cup Fonio Grain
- 1 Cup Coconut Cream
- 1 Cup Coconut Milk
- 1 Cup Crushd Peanuts
- 5 tbsp Honey
- 1 small granny smith apple
- In a small bowl, mix the Fonio grain and coconut milk and pop in a microwave for 10 minutes.1 Cup Fonio Grain, 1 Cup Coconut Milk
- Take out, let cool and add in the coconut cream. Mix thoroughly until you get a slightly thick paste1 Cup Coconut Cream
- In another bowl, mix the crushed peanuts and honey until it is sticky.
- Chop the apple into small bite size cubes
- In a parfait glass, layer the Fonio mix, and peanut mix.
- Top with apples and serve.