- This creamy Soup made purely from fonio grains would get you nicely through the fall.
If you are from West Africa, then you may already be familiar with Fonio but if you are hearing about this super grain for the first time, then here is a bit of background. This creamt fonio soup recipe will speak to you.
Fonio is a whole grain and one of African’s ancient grains popularly known as “Acha” in West Africa or “Hungry Rice” in most of Europe. Although it is sometimes referred to as “minor or lost crops”, Fonio has gained a lot of popularity around the world in recent times particularly because of its exhaustive health benefits and its ability to diversify diets. It is a nutritional powerhouse with significantly more fiber, protein and iron. It is also a great source of plant-based amino acids, and it is naturally gluten-free.
Amazing right?? So, if you are looking for a distinct and highly nutritional soup, then this Fonio dish is definitely the answer. For this recipe, I have paired this mouth-watering Fonio soup with some crackers biscuits.
You can add some nuts and preferred chilli to this recipe for a spicy kick. It is easy to prepare and it absolutely tastes delicious!. Fonio is also very versatile so feel free to experiment in your kitchen! You can also watch click on the link below to watch how I made my Fonio soup.
Serve warm with crackers or breadsticks.
Tasty Creamy Fonio Soup
- 1 Cup Raw Fonio
- 1 Large Red Onions
- 1 Large Garlic Clove
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Rosemary
- 1 Small Scotch Bonnet
- Boil 1 cup of dry Fonio with half a red onion and garlic (Allow to boil for 20minutes)1 Cup Raw Fonio, 1 Large Red Onions, 1 Large Garlic Clove
- Add half a cup of fresh onion and garlic to boiled Fonio and blend until smooth1 Large Red Onions
- In a clean pan, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and turn the heat to low1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Chop half an onion and toss in oil, add garlic, rosemary, chili and saute for three minutes1 tbsp Olive Oil, 1 Small Scotch Bonnet
- Add blended Fonio
- Add at least 100ml water (or enough to achieve desired thickness)
- Stir properly and allow to simmer for 2 minutes
- Serve hot